Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Cat in the Hat cake + cupcakes!

Hello everyone!  Time for another cake post!  i promise i have some home related things coming up i've just been so busy!  This cake is cat in the hat themed, it was a fun cake and pretty easy...first step is always the same: bake and cool

red velvet anyone?


after the cakes were cool i decided to cover them separately, because there would've 
been to many creases toward the bottom on such a tall cylindrical cake
(plus i covered the seam with stripes so nobody will ever see that)

i cut strips of fondant and stacked them up the cake, i used black 
sugar paper for the black lines to cover the seams


the cupcakes were thing 1 and thing 2 themed...the first thing i did was find their little 
logos and printed them out on regular paper and spent way too much time cutting 
them out.  when i was done i hot glue-gunned (new verb!) the pieces to the front
of my red cupcake liners (that already had the baked cupcakes inside of them).

 

here's how they came out after i iced them...pretty cute huh? 


well i really wanted that crazy thing 1 and thing 2 hair to come across more so i decided to add 
some blue cotton candy to them.  you should do this as the absolute last step due to the fact
that the cotton candy will want to melt.  i sprinkled a little powdered sugar around the
edges to dry it up a little then i pressed the cotton candy around the edges of the icing



loved this job!  my mom always read me dr. seuss growing up and we share a birthday so i feel connected to the crazy seuss world :)

let me know what you think and as always remember to link back to your blogs so i can go by and say hi!


23 comments:

  1. These look fantastic, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still don't know where you find all your time! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so talented!!
    ~Natassia

    ReplyDelete
  4. So adorable! Would love for you to link this up at my turquoise lovin' party!! http://www.sweetlittlegals.com/2011/11/turquoise-lovin-12.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am your newest follower via GFC through the Take if From Me, Welcome Wednesday hop. I hope you stop by and visit soon.

    Couponing From Florida to Michigan

    http://couponingfromfl2mi.blogspot.com/
    You did a wonderful job on the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you totally rock :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my those are awesome - especially love those cupcakes :)

    Love for you to join my Linky Party - JAQS "Made by ME" at http://www.jaqsstudio.com/2011/11/made-by-me-6-linky-party-and-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love your cakes, i love them i do
    especially the cupcakes of thing 1 and thing 2

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always read cat in the hat to my boys when they were little, brings back sweet memories for me. This cake and cupcakes are just sooo cute! I love the cupcakes with the aqua frosting...you did such a great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great Blog. Now following Via GFC from the thursday Hop
    Would love a follow back

    http://simplysamisthoughts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. How cool! New follower here from Thurs blog hop.

    Hope you'll FB

    http://mommieagainblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those cupcakes are basically the cutest thing I've ever seen. Pinned! I'm a new follower too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dr. Seuss is always a favorite in our house. These are great!

    I'd love if you would consider sharing this at my Thingamajig Thursday party...http://radcrafter.com/2011/11/thingamajig-thursday-party-2/

    Alida

    ReplyDelete
  14. AMAZING!! Great Job!!
    New Follower from Social Parade Follow on Friday!
    http://pandaandgiraffe.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. AMAZING job!! Everything is so cute!! I LOVE the cotton candy you added on the cupcakes too, how fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I featured you today!!

    http://polkadotsonparade.blogspot.com/2011/11/foodie-friday.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi - great project - I featured you and your project this week at JAQS "Made by ME" Linky party :)

    http://www.jaqsstudio.com/2011/11/made-by-me-7-linky-party-and-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. You make tgw cutest cakes!!!! I found your nautical cake on Pinterest and want one made just like it fir my daughters upcoming birthday! I love to bake also but have never dared to work with fondant but I hope to some day.

    Tambalinasalvation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful job. Absolutely perfect. I am learning how to do cakes and starting a new business. Great pics. Thank u.

    ReplyDelete

let me know what you think :)