Sunday, August 7, 2011

Basketball cake tutorial :)

Hey guys!  Back again with another baby shower cake....for the same soon to be baby actually.  Baby JJ was having a second baby shower at his church, and this time daddy to be was going to be there.  J.J.'s grandma suggested we make it a basketball cake, which is pretty perfect seeing as this kid is going to be a basketball star one day (his dad is a basketball coach and both mommy and daddy are extremely tall people lol).

Here's how i did it:

In order to get the spherical shape, i used Wilton's sports ball pan


I gave both cakes a crumb coat of cream cheese icing.  then i kneaded color into the white fondant to make the basketball color and the blue color.  and when i say "i kneaded color" i really mean that Pablo kneaded the color in.  he's way better at that than me, i'm glad he was around to help :)   once i covered the cakes, i put them in the fridge with the icing and i started baking the cupcakes
 
i had some dry spots in the basketball fonant that caused some stretching and light tears.  If that ever happens to you, add some vegetable shortening to the affected areas.  It fills in the cracks and tears perfectly (that's why the ball looks shiny below, it dries eventually)


now its time to add the little teeny net to the side of the cake.  I tried to carve the cake to be smaller at the bottom like a real hoop/net, that didn't really work and i wish i would've kept it the way it was bc i think it looked a little blob-ish in the end...oh well, next time i know.  basically cut a bunch of tiny fondant strips and add them to the cake in little X formations

the cupcake toppers were really easy to make, this is all you need:


once i cut out the disks and the initials, i drew on the little black lines with my food color marker

For the black lines on the ball, i used sugar paper because its super thin and it was really easy and neat  looking.  I used a ruler and an x-acto to cut even strips and added them to the cake with water.


next up: poke the cake 19283452130934 times with something small to create a texture for the ball.  i actually used corn on the cob handles lol, the tip was the perfect size and not too sharp
 

i hope you like it!  let me know what you think and remember to link back to your blog in the comments so i can check your stuff out, i love finding new blogs  :)
”

33 comments:

  1. I love the way you created texture. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely amazing! Love your designs and even more so that you share your "how to tips" so that we can create them ourselves! Big fan of your blog; looking forward to reading more!

    Cheers,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute. If you get a chance I would love you to link your basketball cake up to More the Merrier Monday. It starts tonight and lasts through Wednesday. See you there. http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my God, looks fantastic! Very good for my nephew birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! Thanks for the vegetable oil tip, that's always been a slight problem for me that I didn't know quite how to fix.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the cake! I wish I was better at cake decorating to make awesome cakes like this.


    I'd love to have you visit our first linky party this Thursday! It's a party specifically for kids and teenagers craft and other ideas, so your idea will be absolutely perfect! Hope you'll stop by!

    bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is ADORABLE. You are quite talented! I'm looking forward to following your blog. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute! You did a great job..sure does look like a basketball!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! This is so good. I don't think I'll ever be able to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is super awesome! looks super hard to do but it's so easy! PIECE OF CAKE! haha!

    Come link and party at my woot woot wednesdays @ thetootsiewootsie.com

    http://www.thetootsiewootsie.com/2011/08/woot-woot-party-5.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great cake! Dropping by from the Welcome Wednesday Blog Hop. I am now following and would love a follow back!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's so cute! I love the colors! Dropping in from the VWB Link UP!

    www.mrsvolnoff.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is an amazing cake!!! Love it! Thanks for the tutorial! Stopping by from Ginger Snap!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So adorable! Stopping by from Someday Crafts!

    www.sweetcsdesigns.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Super cute! Stop by my sweet treats party tomorrow to link it up and to enter my Boba Jewls giveaway! Hope to see you there :)

    Ashton
    http://www.somethingswanky.com
    {Sweet Treats Thursday} Thu-Sun

    ReplyDelete
  16. PS- I'm your newest follower and would love a follow back :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like your use of texture in the fondant! It creates a lot of interest. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So adorable! The texture is perfection! I linked to you from Cast Party Wednesday! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am so impressed - it looks fantastic! I'm a new follower from the Welcome Wednesday blog hop. Have a wonderful evening.

    Dayna
    http://www.greatbeautybuys.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. You did a beautiful job with the cake and cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am soooo going to do this with a soccer ball!! I'm your latest GFC follower from Welcom Wednesday - yes, I know I'm a day late but I needed an extra day to catch up with life!! Hope you can stop by and return the favor soon.
    http://www.shaunanosler.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is absolutely amazing!

    I featured your wonderful cake on my blog!
    http://sweetcsdesigns.com/archives/1456

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful cake! Thanks for linking to the Tuesday To Do Party!
    Smiles!
    Jami
    www.blackberryvine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Amazing cake! Someday I will take a cake decorating class.

    We are having our first link party today! *Crafty Lassie Tuesday* We would it if you came over and joined us!
    Thanks!
    Heather & Rose
    www.SewStylishBoutique.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. THANK YOU so much for sharing your recipe with me at Cast Party Wednesday. I'd like to invite you back this week.
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you again!

    ReplyDelete
  26. That is so awesome! I love it! My youngest son is a huge basketball fan, so I might have to do this one. We only have the small Wilson sports pan though, not a big one like yours.

    Thank you for participating in last week’s Wednesday Window @ Frugality Is Free. I hope you’ll stop by to link up your favorite blog post this week as well.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Amazing. I love the detail in the ball texture. Thanks for linking up at DIY Thrifty Thursday, hope to see you next week. Your basketball cake was featured this week, so stop by and grab an "I was featured" button.

    Thanks,
    Michelle
    www.thrifty101.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

let me know what you think :)