Sunday, July 31, 2011

Nautical baby shower cake


hello everyone!  sorry about the huge gap in posts, i've been super busy at work and away on vacation!  Anyhoo, a friend of mine is having a baby boy that's sure to be drop dead gorgeous and she asked me to do the baby shower cake.  The theme was nautical and i kept it pretty simple.  I like simple cakes.

first step is always, bake the cake then frost it :)



and if you're like me, sneak in some chocolate chips or candy in the middle layer :)

once you're done, your crumb coat should look like this (crumb coat = very thin layer of icing)

*pretend there's pictures of me covering the cake with white fondant here*  
if you need to know how to do this, click  on my air force cake tutorial HERE

Next i wanted to border the cake with little waves (auntie to be sent me a pic of this on another cake), this was pretty easy to do as long as you have circle cutter...or even a shot glass would work.  Roll out your fondant and cut it into a neat strip, then cut semi circles out

when you add the border to the cake it will look like this, pretty cute huh?

next up mini life savers...i didn't take pics of me making these bc i suck.  Basically cut a disk out and cut a smaller disk out of the center and add little red squares...easy :)


i made the cake topper the day before at work, i know i have the unfair advantage of making awesome metal cake toppers. (i've been thinking about opening an etsy shop with custom cookie cutter and cake toppers.......not convinced though since my life is already so freaking busy) Basically i drew my design on AutoCAD and the waterjet did the rest :)

i sanded it down a little and washed it thoroughly, i painted it and waited a couple days to make sure it was super dry and no chemicals were still there, then i washed it thoroughly again.

red and nautical-y :)

i added little disks with the baby's initials all around the top and made little matching cupcakes

 
there they all are neatly packaged into my box and ready to be transferred

now that your hard work is done, have fun at the party :)


For all of the observant readers, you'll notice there were only 8 cupcakes at the party instead of the 10 in the photo.  that's because my darling dog Chloe decided the spontaneously jump in the car while i was loading everything up and stomp on the box......this led to 4 cupcake casualties, RIP cupcakes


Luckily i had 2 extra cupcakes in the house and i re-used the lifesaver toppers, but i did freak out and cry when i saw what was happening, i was terrified to look inside the box!  

and that is the story of how 10 cupcakes became 8


i was featured :



featured I'm topsy turvy tuesdays



Manic Mother



35 comments:

  1. ADORABLE!! My best friend just had a nautical themed baby shower. Too bad I didn't see this cake before :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow your cake is just too cute! I love the anchor and the waves. You are so talented :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable! And glad you didn't suffer more losses :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a super cool cake - and yes... I think you should make cake toppers and sell them! :)You already have the pattern for the anchor, so you are part way there :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. these are wonderful!!
    Stopping through with Follow Us Monday Hop

    http://anoterote.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is adorable! Your dog must have thought they looked tasty too! : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. That cake is gorgeous! I do not have that kind of talent....:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful cake! Thanks for providing the how-to also!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your cake looks great! I am jealous of the awesome topper. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Nautical things and this is to die for :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the colors you used and i love how you created the waves with the fondant!

    -Tootsie

    p/s:
    I will be hosting Tootsie's Woot woot wednesday link party On wednesday.
    www.tootsiewootsieboutique.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I could sail away with you woman! Come check out a Little House on the Prairie rag doll.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it!! Perfect for a lot of occasions!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it! I wish I had that kind of skill with cake decorating, but this makes me want to run out and have a nautical party!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cute! I'm following you via Take It From Me
    Jessica
    http://thatgivesmeanidea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous!! Seriously!! I am visiting from Dragonfly Designs and I am your newest follower!! I hope you have a great day and I see you around soon!!
    Michelle
    www.delicateconstruction.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's really cool that you are able to make those cake toppers. I def. think you should sell them on etsy. As a sometimes-cake-decorator myself, I know people pay an arm and a leg for those things. I love the colour of your buttercream, btw. I'm happily your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is super cute. I wondered if you would like to do a guest post with your shower theme during our online baby shower? I went to your contact form but my computer is wonky and won't let me pull up your contact info. Here is a link with more info. HOpe to hear from you.

    http://livingatthewhiteheadszoo.blogspot.com/p/baby-shower-event.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. So adorable! I am impressed! I'm your newest follower, and I came over from the creation corner link party!

    darlingdoodles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. an amazing tutorial! and i love those colors.
    thank you for sharing. i am a new follower!

    {love} lauryn @ lovenotesbylauryn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. i have a dog with a face as cute as that one and it's hard to stay mad at him that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What an adorable cake! I admire people who are able to do this. I am your newest follower from the Friday blog hops. Hope to see you at Dropped Stitches ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great cake and cupcakes. Love the cake topper you made!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a beautiful baby shower cake! I love it! The topper is fabulous!

    I would love for you to link up your post at my Savvy HomeMade blog party at http://www.homesavvyatoz.com/2011/08/07/bog-party-2

    I am a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  25. another lovely cake! You do a great job. I'm featuring this tonight on Topsy Turvy Tuesday's! Thanks so much for linking up so often!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love this cake! So cute!

    I'm a new follower...feel free to check out my new blog: http://mdmamareviews.blogspot.com. Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is just too cute! And how on earth do you get your cake layers to be so uniform? They always look perfect. ;)

    Thanks for linking to the party. Hope to see you again this week.

    Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is adorable! you are so talented!

    Thanks for linking up to Your Whims Wednesday!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks so much for sharing your recipe with me at Cast Party Wednesday. I hope you will come back tomorrow for another party filled with GREAT RECIPES!
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This looks amazing! Thanks for linking up with me for Friday Favorites. I'm adding this to my pinterest page!

    ReplyDelete
  31. amazing and totally jealous of your "cake building skills" (to quote Napoleon Dynamite) thank you for linking up to WWWW - I'm featuring your awesomeness today!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great Cake! Thanks so much for linking to the Tuesday To Do Party!
    Smiles!
    Jami
    www.blackberryvine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. ya you seriously need to start selling some cake toppers!!!

    ReplyDelete

let me know what you think :)