Sunday, June 19, 2011

Busy weekend!

Hey guys!  i hope you all had a wonderful father's day weekend, i know i did!  This weekend i had 2 dinner parties back to back, and i LOVED it!  they were my first ones in my new place :)  i can bake like its nobody's business, however, cooking doesn't come so naturally!  I'm happy to report everything i prepared came out great, nothing got burnt, i didn't leave any ingredients out,  and nothing was undercooked!

First dinner party was for one of my best friends Ginny.  we met when we were 8 and have been friends ever since :)   i missed her original birthday celebration and wanted to make sure she had a special day. Thankfully i had some help from my friend Sarah (click her name and visit her awesome blog) who's more experienced in the cooking department.  But i am getting better lol.  i obviously had to make Ginny her favorite chocolate chocolate chip cake with cream cheese icing, here's how it came out:
I made the cake early in the morning the day of the party so i didn't have so much time.   I made it simple and used edible paper for the design under the G.  Lots of look with minimal effort.  Easy cake for beginners to try, sorry i dont have any step by step photos of this one, super rushed.  you can go back and look through some past cakes if you want to learn how.  We had lots of fun, i love doing nothing and talking crap with friends, sometimes its more fun than going out :)

Second dinner party was for my dad on fathers day.  I made prime rib and asparagus risotto (mom helped with that one).  For dessert my grandma made cannolis  (my #1 favorite thing in the world...even above ice cream and if you know me, that's a serious claim) Here are some pics :)

 family gatherings generally look like this, men gather around the tv and watch sports while the women slave away in the kitchen....kind of sexist but true lol ;)


 mmmm....grandma cannolis!


Let me know what you think and link back to your blogs so i can visit :)

35 comments:

  1. Wow, that cake came out gorgeous! I don't really bake but your photos really inspire me.

    Bella Vida by Letty
    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cake looks absolutely divine! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cake is gorgeous! I hope it was chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your cake, it is beautiful! I am coming over from It's so Very Cheri!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm the co-host of the "I love my online friends" hop and I dropped by to say hello! I follow you and I hope you can stop by Weidknecht.blogspot.com. I'm having a massive giveaway party right now because I just reached 1000 GFC followers! ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! I wish my decorating came out this nicely. Love the details! and grandma's cannoli's look DIVINE!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so good. Nothing like food to make someone feel special. Please come over to my link party and share some of your tasty recipes with us at Cast Party Wednesday. http://www.ladybehindthecurtain.com
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm your newest hop follower, check me out at http://hugatreewithme2.blogpsot.com whenever you can:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That cake is amazing! I love baking, but most of the time my creations are very yummy, but not much to look at! I am a new follower and can't wait to read more!

    Happy Wednesday
    1HecticMommy

    http://1hecticmommy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Two dinners back to back??? I think you must be pretty comfortable in the kitchen! The cake is beautiful! Thanks for stopping by to see the party!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the shout-out! Our mouths are still watering over that amazing cake...even more amazing than how beautiful they are is how delicious you make them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an amazing cake...looks so yummy! I'm a new follower via Welcome Wednesday.
    Kricia

    http://kriciapalmerhome.blogspot.com
    My design ideas and inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Your cake is so beautiful. I've never heard of edible paper so I'll have to check it out. You had one lucky friend to be gifted with that cake.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your cakes are so pretty!! I wish my stuff looked half as good as yours. At least they taste good. I would love for you to check out my crafting blog if you get the time.

    http://kadie-sevenalive.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yummy!

    http://carabossesbedchamber.blogspot.com/2011/06/lemon-cookies.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. That cake looks great! *Tummy is growling!* :) Found you from Shabby Nest!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the design on your cake. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am just reminding everyone about tonights link party that runs Friday evening through Mondays!
    I also have an ongoing give away link party now too.
    Hope to see you soon.
    http://bacontimewiththehungryhypo.blogspot.com/
    come strut your stuff

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful!
    Thank you so much for linking to {nifty thrifty things} last week!
    I hope to see you again tomorrow!
    xoxo,
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  21. That cake is so cute. But oh...I'd like to try the cannolies! Thanks for linking up at Mod Mix Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You have been a busy (and thoughtful) girl! I know everyone was blessed by your generosity of hospitality! Thanks so much for linking to the Tuesday To Do Party!
    Smiles!
    Jami

    ReplyDelete
  23. That cake is AWESOME!!! But I have to admit...I've never had a cannoli...I'm not even sure what is in one...but being that they are better than icecream I better go and search some out.
    liZ
    (simplesimonandco)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for sharing your yummy recipe with us at Cast Party Wednesday. I hope you come back and visit us tomorrow.
    Thanks again.
    I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I really love MJ and have been obsessed since I was a kid! Beautiful Cake by the way! New follower from Social Parade! Hope you can hop by Girl Tech Divas and Follow Back!

    http://www.girltechdivas.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is so yummy and really great cake in black and white combination. A big thanks for sharing your yummy recipe with us at Cast Party Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow......... What a delicious cake is this! As the conception and design of this cake are really looking exceptional and mind blowing. I am totally surprised to see this one. Thanks for sharing some of idealize conceptive cake in this source. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

let me know what you think :)