Thursday, May 19, 2011

Reader's Minnie Cake!

Last year i did a minnie mouse cake for a customer - you can see the original post and step by step tutorial by clicking here and just to refresh your memory, here is a pic of how it turned out:

minnie mouse cake Well i got and email from a reader named Traci saying she was going to attempt to recreate the cake using my tutorial. We had a few emails back and forth where i explained a little further about how to do certain things. It was her first attempt at a fondant cake and she picked a pretty challenging one to start with! well, here is how her cake came out:


i cannot believe this was her first attempt...man my readers are talented!!! whenever i post fondant cake entries i get TONS of emails saying "i wish i could make fondant cakes!" you can! it's really not that hard...more tedious than anything....might want to start with something a little easier, unless you're gifted like traci here lol

of all the emails i get saying people are going to try my tutorials, nobody ever sends me a pic of their projects...so happy she shared this with me so i can show it off!

i hope traci's cake inspires you to try! she doesn't have a blog so i can't link her but leave some comments so she can get feedback :)
Photobucket

21 comments:

  1. So fun! I would love it if you could stop by Heck Fridays tomorrow (Thursday) and post it on our first link party!

    http://www.heckfridays.blogspot.com

    Hope to see you soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! She did a great job! It's so neat when readers try your tutorials and let you know about it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...she did a great job! You are an excellent teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cake turned out really well! Hi! Just stopping by. Following you from the Buzz On By Thursday Blog Hop. I’m trying to get some attention to my new facebook fan page. Would love it if you would ‘like’ my page: http://www.facebook.com/flightlessgoose. I also have a blog: http://blog.writerslairbooks.com.

    ReplyDelete
  5. New follower from Cup of Joe blog hop. I love this cake and the cupcakes I saw photographed too. I wish I could create and design cakes. I hope you will follow me back http://talesfrommyjournal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. That turned out great, Ive never tried fondant, but her cake is inspiring! Following you from the cup of joe blog hop, you can find me at
    http://wvfrugal-wvsaver.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's amazing. I'm bookmarking your site to learn how to make this myself. My daughters would LOVE a cake like that. :)

    I'm a new follower from the Thursday Blog Hop. I'd love it if you'd follow me back at A Helicopter Mom!

    Thanks,
    Mickey :)
    A Helicopter Mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. ok just so you know.. olivia's first birthday is going to be minnie mouse and you just have to make this for the party lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adorable cake!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. this turned out DARLING. love mini mouse!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. She did a fabulous job!!! I've worked with fondant a number of times and just recently stopped taking cake orders, so I know how tricky it can be when you're just figuring it out! She should be so proud! And you should be proud too, Miss Teacher!!! Thanks so much for commenting on my bridal shower tea! I'm so glad you did so I can discover your blog now! Definitely a new follower and I hope you get to come back and visit again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Both cakes look awesome! I am very impressed. You should come and link up your cake tut with Fun for Kids Friday - www.localfunforkids.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is adorable! LOVE IT!

    I'm a new follower from the Friday Blog Frog Hop!

    Please stop on by and follow me at http://www.mommydigger.com and say hello :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Both are adorable. You're are so talented. I love how your cakes are so crisp and bright.

    New follower from The Mom Road.

    Blessings on your weekend.
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  15. We did a Minnie Mouse theme for Lucy's birthday this year and had a really awesome Minnie cake, too! This reminds me of that!
    Great job!
    ~Bec :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Super cute! My daughter, Molly, saw this and decided she needs one too! :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your cake is absolutely beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this! Thanks for linking up with me for Friday Favorites last week. I'm featuring you! Come by and grab my featured button if you'd like one.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this cake! Did you have to put anything in-between the two cakes? Was the minnie part too heavy for the base cake? Hoping to make this cake! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete

let me know what you think :)