Sunday, May 22, 2011

Homemade marshmallow fondant

Hello everyone! i've gotten lots of requests asking if i make my own fondant, and if so, how do i do it. the answer is: UGH! i hate making fondant lol. If possible i'll always buy Satin ice or Fondarific pre-made fondant. its a lot easier and when i have baking jobs it takes a lot of the stress away. The drawback to pre-made fondant is that its more expensive. I only use those 2 brands because they are the best tasting, satin ice has a marshmallow-y flavor and fondarific actually offers 13 different flavors. a very common brand that rhymes with kilton has a pre-made fondant....its the worst tasting thing ever so avoid it if you can, if not add flavorings.

On to the tutorial! i will make marshmallow fondant because at last 30 people have asked me, and i aim to please :)

up there is what you'll need:
  • 16oz bag of mini marshmallows
  • 2 pounds of confectioners sugar
  • vegetable shortening
  • vanilla extract or any flavor extracts you want to add
before you do anything wash your hands thoroughly with warm water and soap. when making fondant there is a lot of handling it so don't be gross, thanks :)

before you start, take the shortening and cover everything that will touch the fondant. Melted marshmallows are ridiculously sticky. grease the mixing bowl, the bowl you will melt the marshmallows with, and any spatulas/spoons you will use....also if you're not using a mixer grease your hands, if you are using a mixer (like me) grease the kneading hook

next up, start sifting the sugar....CONFESSION i only sifted 1 pound because i'm super impatient and decided to use the second pound unsifted lol....if you're patient, do both...in reality it made little difference

add about 4 cups of confectioners sugar to your greased mixing bowl and set aside
grease a big bowl or microwave safe container and dump all the mini marshmallows in it

add 3 to 4 tablespoons of water and 1 to 1.5 teaspoons of flavoring (flavoring is optional)

microwave the marshmallows for 2 minutes, you can stop after a minute to stir, put it back in there for the remaining minute. after that stir till thoroughly melted, should look like this:
once the marshmallows are melted, you may want to add food coloring at this step, its much easier than kneading color in later. I'm using this fondant later in the week and it needs to be a very pale pink. take a toothpick and dip it in your food coloring gel and mix into the marshmallow
pale pink marshmallow :)
add the kneading hook to your mixture, but make sure its greased thoroughly
pour the melted marshmallows over the 4 cups of sugar and load the bowl
of you have one of those fancy plastic guards to keep powdered sugar from flying up, you probably want to use that....if not, use saran wrap like i did....works perfectly well :)

knead it for a while gradually adding MOST the remaining powdered sugar (save some for hand kneading). you may think it looks ready but make sure to touch it. If it sticks to your fingers, its NOT ready. keep adding sugar until its firm enough to roll out and doesn't stick to your fingers


once that's done, take it out of the bowl and put it on a clean greased counter top, use remaining powdered sugar and hand knead it for a while. if the fondant is too firm dont use anymore sugar, you can always add water if you over knead...or pop it in the microwave for a couple seconds to soften it

iphone camera makes it appear to be white in the one below, but i assure you, its pale pink

when you think you're done, test it by pulling it a part. it will stretch a little and break apart, that's how you know its ready...if it stretches a lot and doesn't break apart, you need to knead more sugar into it.

when you're done, wrap it up in saran wrap and put it in the fridge to set.



fondant is not made with any ingredients that will spoil so it will last as long as the expiration date on the marshmallow bag says. Some people say don't leave it in the fridge for more than a day, other people say it can be in there up to 4 weeks....you can have it sitting out in room temperature too, everyone has an opinion, they all work if you ask me lol....i've had it in the fridge and at room temperature, room temperature works better for me but maybe not for you, your choice :)

hope that helped...if you want to see this process done on video, there's a good tutorial here

if you have any questions, leave a comment with your email address and i'll get back to you :)

37 comments:

  1. I have made my own fondant before and it is a pain. I didn't use a mixer at all and I must say. I like that much better. I also really like the idea of adding the coloring to the melted marshmallow. That would have really spared my hands. Thanks for sharing! I hope everyone else appreciates the work you did too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been meaning to try marshmallow fondant. Good tip about greasing everything! Looks like sticky business.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this recipe! I'm very much a sloppy baker- so I love the photos on this and exact measurements! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful idea!! I am definitely trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh lord help me! I might just have to give making fondant a try.

    Thanks so much for sharing with us all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. New follower....nice to find your blog! Would love for you to follow me back!

    That recipe looks sinful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. For some reason, I feel like marshmallow fondant, although much better tasting than store-bought fondant always comes out a bit dry. Any ideas? Joni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use a little food grade glycerin. It makes it Shiney and not so dry

      Delete
  8. This is excellent! I've been wanting to try marshmallow fondant and now I may have to! :) Thanks for your sweet comment about my "Perry" cakes...they were great fun! I'll be following you...feel free to follow me back!

    Amy
    sittingatourkitchentable.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good info on fondant. Thanks for visiting and your very nice comments and yes, I feel fabulous!
    I have been doing Live the Life Kristi Approved and you can click on my blog to find out more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great tutorial! I can't wait to try this recipe. Please stop by www.laughloveandcraft.com and link up to my Share the Wealth Wednesday Link Party! I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh... you are so kind to share it... I always love fondant and now I can DIY myself! Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am visiting from Polka Dots on Parade's WMW. I have wondered about how to make fondant. I love to decorate cakes, but have only used butter cream so far. These ingredients are simple and should taste good. When I have tried fondant in the past it must have been Wilton's because it wasn't that good! Thanks for the great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am all over marshmallow fondant!! I'd love for you to link this up to my sweet treats party tomorrow! Hope to see you there,
    Ashton
    www.somethingswanky.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, this looks so easy and I bet it tastes WAY better then the ones from the box! Thanks for sharing and I'd love for you to come link up at www.thrifty101.blogspot.com

    ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  15. So excited to give this a try! So does this make two pounds of fondant?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks so much for sharing this! I love that it is so simple, way easier than the original fondant recipe I was using.
    I linked to your page from my blog and when I get done with the cake I'm working on, I'll be posting pics with a good review on your "how to" here.

    Angel
    http://householdsavvy.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. HI, I have been making MMF for awhile now, but recently even after adding all the sugar it is still very sticky and stretchy. Why would that be? Does it have to do with warmer weather?

    ReplyDelete
  18. When the fondant is warm, it tends to be stickier. Let it cool and if you need to keep adding conf. sugar a little at a time. It takes some patience to get it to just the right consistancy. But it is worth it! My daughter is working on a cake right now for 4H and I am making her 3 batch! This stuff is really great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your tutorial made this so easy! Thank you for the great instructions!! Beautiful results!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just made my first batch with help of Kitchen-aide ( got to give credit where its due!). Very simple for a newbie. Glad I greased the heck out of everything. Thanks for the excellent photo tutorial. I returned my store bought fondant and took heart in your how-to that I too could do it. What a money saver and way more tastier!! I admit it was even stress relieving and fun to work the fondant after it came out of the mixer :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. What if it looks crumbly ?? Do I smooth out

    ReplyDelete
  22. I made a small batch of this last night just so I could perpare for the main event. It came out perfect and I have never made fondant before, Thanks for taking the time to put this together it was very help full...
    A.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is perfect I have been looking for a recipe where I can make fondant and then I coat my fruit before dipping into the chocolate and this is perfect, thanks for the share.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my goodness! Just made 2 batches- it was SO mush easier in the mixer! I was really dreading doing the fondant for my little guy's bday cake & this was a snap! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Make an "easy to print" version after your step by step so I stop getting my computer all messy!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Cool! I am definetly trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Never tried using my mixer, will do that today! Very nice post, easy to follow!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Spot on recipe. Works an absolute treat and definitely the best I have tried. If you have never made MMF with a Kitchenaid have a go. You will never look back.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I make my own fondant, but I prefer using marshmallow cream. Much easier than melting marshallows.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great recipe. I use this version all the time when I make cakes and everyone loves it. Never seen anyone toss the fondant out. I don't go super crazy and add so much simple is prettier. Next I guess I have to hint to people that I want one of those mixer.
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Would love to know how you made the plastic guard though? Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I've never made fondant before but am eager to try after reading your post. I've also read that the longer food coloring sits in the fondant and buttercream frosting the deeper the color gets...do you know/have any tips on this?

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you! The worst part of making a fancy cake, is the fondant. Buying it already made is expensive. I have always made it buy hand. What a mess! I just made it using my mixer & what a difference! I thought using a mixer would be just as much trouble. IT IS NOT! Even my kitchen is less sticky! Got to go .. I have more fondant to make! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I make marshmallows fondant all the time but this is the first time using the mixer, love it. How much glycerin do you add to the fondant. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

let me know what you think :)