Saturday, May 28, 2011

Baby girl baptism cake

Baptism cake

Hey guys, i hope you all had a great week. Just finished my last baking job for the month last night for my friend Melissa over at Days Filled with Love. Her GORGEOUS baby girl Olivia is getting baptized today :) go by and check out her blog when you get a chance!

She sent me a photo of the cake she had in mind and i recreated it as close as i could

Here are the steps to make this cake:


once you roll out and cover your cake with fondant, trim the excess and its ready for decorating. i explained how to do this in more detail in my air force cake. i dont want to be too redundant to regular readers lol

if you ever want to put a scallop shape on the top of a cake like this one, buy a cutter! lol this took me an eternity! they have a 6" one here if not this is how i did it: i drew the shape i wanted on the computer (I use auto CAD bc i'm used to it from designing at work). I printed it to scale on card stock paper and cut it out. i pressed that cutout into the fondant to get reference lines like this:

i cut the small radiuses with a straw, that way it would look perfect, unlike the outer curves that looked jagged at first. (i later went back and smoothed all those out bc it was making me crazy to see jagged lines lol)

i trimmed out the excess and began cutting the outer curves

ta-da! next up i added the silver dragees around according to the inspiration photo....you can buy them at specialty cake shops...if you live in miami i got them at Miles Cake and Candy Supplies
i stamped a little "O" in the center of the cross for Olivia :)


Here's the final product :)
Pink Baptism cake
Let me know what you think :)






27 comments:

  1. it was incredible!! everyone was so impressed and people want your number to order stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! GORGEOUS cake - love fondant on ANYTHING. You have some serious cake talent! Can't wait to see more

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow really amazing! It looks professional! Please come over and link up to my Tasty Tuesday party tomorrow. http://nap-timecreations.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there, visiting over from littlekatieontheprairie! I love your cakes. I'm going to have to tell a friend to follow you, she'll be so inlove with the baptism cakes! You do an amazing job! P.S. i'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great cake, i'm a new follower from 'I love my Online Friends Monday Hop'...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning! I'm a new follower! Follow me too?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by my site...LOVE yours! Fondant is definitely on my "Must-Try" List but I haven't braved it quite yet - LOL! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These cakes are just so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH these are so beautiful!


    Found you over at the blog hop! hope you can stop by and follow me back and stick around I am having a weekend long birthday bash give away this weekend!!! thanks!
    http://mommy2nanny3doggy1.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a beautiful cake. I envy your talent but glad you shared!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! You are a pro at covering cakes with fondant! Using the straw to get the "corners" just right is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful cake! You are very talented!

    Just stopped by from the Wednesday blog hop. I’m following you now and hope you’ll stop by my blog sometime too! Have a lovely week.
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Your cakes are beautiful! Thank you for visiting my blog, Made it on Monday! I'm enjoying looking around yours!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a gorgeous cake Jaclyn!Just beautiful! Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is amazing,i love pink color & its super cute :)
    keep sharing nice ideas with us following you now,i hope you will like to follow back ^(^

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this cake, so creative and beautiful!

    I'm your newest follower from the Welcome Wednesday Hop! I hope you'll stop by my blog www.mommydigger.com and give me a follow :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I keep looking at it! It's amazing. You should be a designer for an upscale bakery!

    ReplyDelete
  18. this looks amazing! well done!

    Just wanted to let you know I changed my blog url from eating in winnipeg to http://thesweetdetail.blogspot.com/ hope to have you come over there and follow me there :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi there. Stopping by from the Wednesday Hop! Gorgeous cake. I am a new follower. Please stop by my blog Diaper Style Memoirs and follow back :) Enter the amazing Honeycup Giveaway while you're there.

    Have a great day!
    Inessa
    Diaper Style Memoirs

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful cake! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is amazing! You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! That cake looks amazing!!
    Thank you so much for linking this up to {nifty thrifty sunday}!
    I hope to see you again this weekend! :)
    xoxo,
    Vanessa @ {nifty thrifty things}

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a clever idea to use the straw as a stencil. I never would have thought of that, but it produced beautiful results. Thanks for stopping by my blog! Happy to find yours. :)

    -Nicole @ Wonderful Joy Ahead

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks great! I will be featuring you on DIY Thrifty Thursday tomorrow. Come drop by and grab an "I was featured" button.

    Thanks for sharing
    Michelle
    www.thrifty101.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Another beautiful cake! Thanks for linking up with me last week!

    ReplyDelete

let me know what you think :)