Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Air Force Cake!

Hello everybody!

Just finished the air force cake i was asked to do. My customer gave me creative freedom with this one, she just wanted to make sure i incorporated the logo.

air force cake

the cake was chocolate - chocolate chip with peanut butter icing...i also threw some reese's cups in between the layers....they are big reese's cup fans ;)


once the cake was iced with the peanut butter frosting, it was time to roll out the fondant. Rolling out fondant is pretty self explanatory, make sure to prep your surface to avoid sticking. i usually use powdered sugar, some people use cornstarch/shortening; if its too sticky i add more powdered sugar, it works for me. once you've rolled out the fondant transfer it to your cake using this technique (i couldn't do it and take a picture of myself at the same time, so look at this random lady do it, lol)

at this step you may see lumps and bumps, if you have a fondant smoother don't worry, that thing fixes everything! its my favorite thing ever


i use my hands to work the fondant down the sides, if you have overlaps like i always do take your time and lift them up and smooth them down, do this until they're gone


there's my buddy mr. fondant smoother! rub that on all bumps and around the edges to give you a nice smooth surface

trim the excess and the hard part is over, the cake is covered :)

for the air force logo, i printed a template out on card stock paper and cut out the overall shape....i rolled out some satin ice pre-colored blue fondant and placed my card stock template over it. i used my rolling pin and pressed the paper template into the fondant. when i lifted it up, i had perfect guidelines of where to cut. i did this with white fondant as well for the insides of the logo...i used a sharp non serrated knife to cut the logo out

Here's how it came out!
i wanted to add thin rings to the sides of the cake so i just picked 2 of my billions of circular cutters and cut some rings out...i let them harden slightly before putting them on the cake so they would keep their shape
i placed 2 rows of the rings, really simple design element but it makes a big difference :)next, i cut the lettering and placed it on the cake....i stick all decorations to cakes using water

here's how it turned out!


air force cake
****Peanut butter frosting recipe****

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 4 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 1/3 cup cream

Directions

  1. In a large bowl, beat butter and peanut butter until light and fluffy. Slowly beat in 1/2 of the confectioner's sugar. Mix in 1/4 cup of the cream. Beat in the remaining confectioners' sugar. If necessary, add a little more cream or milk until the frosting reaches a good spreading consistency. Makes enough to frost one 2 layer 9 inch cake or one 9x13 inch cake.



20 comments:

  1. It looks stunning! My husband's cousin went to the Air Force Academy 2 years ago. That would have been great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is adorable & you are so talented. I am forwarding to my sister in law & maybe she'll make something similar for her retired Air Force husband. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful job! What a tribute! Can't wait to share with friends and cakebakers in Chattanooga! You are a design diva!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG... What patience you have! So talented! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow what a cake. My sons girl makes great cakes also. Not me. I can't bake to save my life. I love looking at these great cake designs though. Your air force cake turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing! I could never in a million years do that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy smokes! You are one great cake decorator! I am impressed. Thanks for dropping by my blog. Glad you found me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely cake! I like the Minnie Cake posted earlier too! So talented and so inspiring. I've never worked with fondant before, but you are making me want to try!!
    I'm a new follower from Brass Gir. Blog Hop! Hope you can hop by and visit my blog too!
    http://stylendecordeals.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. the cake was delicious.....it looked just how i wanted it to........my boyfriend was surprised...it came out so good i couldnt bear to throw it away so i froze the logo and we're going to eat it when he comes home in November :)typically i dont like to eat fondant and i just pick it off the top.... - we all ate the fondant!! thank you so much my friend..it was perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is beautiful. I love the cirles you used, and the cake before the fondont looks super yummy. Plus - you can never use to much powdered sugar, LOL! Visiting from Fireflies and Jelly Beans link-up.
    ~ Kimberlee at The Spunky Diva 

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute Blog! I love decorating cakes! Happy Thursday! I would love for you to stop by and check out my blog as well! If you like it you can follow back! Thanks! Hope to blog with you again soon!

    http://heavenlysavings.blogspost.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am a sucker for peanut butter, yum! Hi, I'm your newest follower from Blog hop Thursday. Would love it if you'd swing by my blog when you get a chance! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG that peanut butter cake..... I think I just lost my virginity by looking at it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow!!!! I love what you did with that logo! That looks awesome!!! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness! This turned out amazing - too gorgeous to eat but....who could resist after knowing about the chocolate, peanut butter icing and Reesies! Can't wait to show this to my daughter - she will be so happy to get this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! Looks amazing! Thanks for explaining how to :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. so manly! turned out so great!!

    Thanks for linking up to Your Whims Wednesday! Hope to see ya again this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, this one turned out fabulous as well!!
    Thank you so much for linking this up to {nifty thrifty sunday} as well!
    Hugs,
    Vanessa @ {nifty thrifty things}

    ReplyDelete

let me know what you think :)