Thursday, September 9, 2010

Hot fudge sunday cake! :)

Let me start off by saying this recipe is super easy! So easy you don't even need to use a mixer. If you're a fan of molten chocolate cakes but prefer something less rich, this is the cake for you. Its less chocolatey and more fudgy. If you have kids, they will LOVE this :) its messy, fudgy and delicious.

I was up visiting my grandmother for her birthday and I told her I'd make the dessert of her choice, she pulled an old betty crocker cook book and picked one of her favorites: Hot Fudge Sunday Cake!

Add flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, and salt to a bowl and mix

Once you've mixed all of the dry ingredients transfer them to a 9x9x2 square pan. My grandmother left hers at my house so we used a glass pan.

Next up, add milk, oil, and vanilla. Mix them together with the dry ingredients with a fork until smooth
Combine brown sugar and additional cocoa and sprinkle on top.
pour hot water over the mixture and its ready to bake!
Once you're done baking the cake for 40 minutes, take it out and serve hot. Once take the first scoop of cake you will notice the entire bottom of the cake is actually molten chocolate fudge! yuuuuum!
scoop out some cake, add a scoop of ice cream (we used fudge ice cream bars) and pour the hot fudge over the cake
now its time to eat!

Here's the recipe
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 tablespoons cocoa
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup cocoa
  • 1-3/4 cup hottest tap water
  • ice cream of your choice
Enjoy!


25 comments:

  1. noooo way! This looks AMAZING!! Next time we have people over...THIS is being made! It's too dangerous if I just make it for my hubby and I... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for joining our blog hop over at Sassy Sites! There are some amazing blogs out there, and you are one of them! I'm a follower of yours too! Happy Friday! xoxo

    Marni @ Sassy Sites!

    ReplyDelete
  3. found ya at sassy sites...this looks divine!

    am your newest follower, hope you'll follow back.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so good! It's fun to make recipes from an old Betty Crocker cookbook. Stopping by from NFF and I'm a new follower. We share similiar interests on our blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay love your blog, all my fave topics

    new follower, www.retrohousewiferemix.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been looking for a recipe like this because my little brother loves hot fudge cake! Thanks for sharing and for all the pics - I really need help in the kitchen!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had me at fudge!

    Happy Friday!

    closertolucy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha I was just thinking “You had me at hot fudge” but it seems like other readers thought the same thing! Love the retro cooking book. I just picked up a few from an estate sale. Can’t wait to cook from them!

    Kendra aka “Domestic Princess in Training”

    ReplyDelete
  9. YUM!!!!! This will not be good for my waist line!

    Thanks for planting your creative seeds at Plant a Punkin Seed Party!

    Kristi
    Punkin Seed Productions

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh that looks so good! Great Blog! Found you on Friendly Friday!

    Sarah
    thepurplehound.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. ummmm, this looks YUM!!!!

    Here from boost my blog friday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm your newest follower from Friendly Friday. I'd love it if you could visit/follow back at:

    www.momsbalancingact.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, that looks really good! I think I have that cookbook, or maybe Mom does. I know I've seen it somewhere. Followed your link over from Fab Friday. Drop by Atticmag and leave a comment for your chance to win Roxy bedding for Giveaway Friday.

    Allison
    Atticmag

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! That looks heavenly!!!

    www.makingmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. YUM! This looks amazing! I laughed when I saw that cookbook...my mom and grandma both have the same one and I have so many memories of us pulling it down as kids and begging to cook something!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I want to make it & eta it right now!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I couldn't believe it when I saw the cookbook you are using. I have that same book. It was my mother-in-laws. You have a great blog!! I am really enjoying looking around. Thanks for sharing!! I am now a new follower!! Nicole @ colieskitchen.com BTW I found you on a blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great recipe! I'm going to make it immediately =D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yum. O. Looks great! Thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What temp do you bake this at?? I want to make it this weekend! Looks delicious!!

    laura_licious101(at)hotmail*com

    ReplyDelete
  21. How cow this looks amazing!

    Feel free to stop by my Etsy shop for free earring Fridays! http://www.etsy.com/shop/alongfortheride

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for sharing this great cake recipe with us at Anything Related!
    {Rebekah}

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mmmmm warm melty chocolate over ice cream! Doesn't get much better! Thanks for linking up to Topsy Turvy Tuesday's!

    ReplyDelete

let me know what you think :)