Sunday, July 11, 2010

Stephanie's 22nd birthday (on July 4th)

red white and blue cake
So, my most recent baking job was for a friend's wife. Her birthday was on July 4th and they wanted a red, white, and blue cake. *cringe* I hate that color combo! I felt like there was no way to make it un-tacky! I kept having these horrible ideas filled with stars and fireworks and cheapy party supplies as my inspiration. I know the couple and they are not fans of tacky kitsch. This was going to be a challenge.

Eventually I decided I would keep it very simple and see where it goes from there. Since my brother and I own a waterjet company, I decided I would make fancy number toppers. I wanted to keep the cake classy vs trashy.

Later I took a trip to Michael's to see what kind of non tacky decoration ideas I could find. I found some cool cake wires from Duff Goldman's new line of products. For those of you who don't know, he is the guy from Ace of Cakes. I was wondering what was taking him so long to put out a product line! It's pretty epic.



I decided last minute that my white cake with red ribbon was too plain, so I added larger polka dots. I didn't want to stagger them because I thought the cake would look too child like. I ended up positioning them flush with their neighbor dots. I think it turned out OK, what do you think?

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for you comment! I love the cake, I wish that I could make a beautiful cake like that :)

    Hannah
    http://youngancrafty.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank YOU for the comment! i'm new here and you're my first comment :)

    btw you can totally make a great cake too, all you have to do is try :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping over! Your site looks very cute and interesting! I cannot wait to see what else you post!
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty, elegant cake!

    I am stopping by from the Somewhat Simple link party.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It turned out really well! I'd love it if you'd come link up to my Topsy Turvy Tuesday party! http://imtopsyturvy.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admire anyone who can make cakes like that. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool! Thanks for sharing at It's Party Time Thursday@PonyTails&FishScales!

    ReplyDelete

let me know what you think :)